Adaptive Path logo

Adaptive Path
product experience strategy and design

« The longer someone works in | Main | Sometimes standing still is a »

June 30, 2008

You cannot fully evaluate any creative work unless you know the constraints within which it was created.

<=> | June 30, 2008

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference You cannot fully evaluate any:

Comments

Do you mean that we can't evaluate the creative work itself, or do you mean that we can't evaluate the creator?

For example, I might evaluate a novel to be too short, with undeveloped characters. If later I learned that the author worked under a strict word limit, it doesn't make my evaluation of the creative any less valid. But it might change my perception of the creator.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 30, 2008 9:54:43 PM

That's a nice excuse-- and it's a good summary of the frustration that many of us face given unrealistic timelines, client expectations, etc.

But surely all creative work, aside from personal art projects, has implicit constraints that the creator/designer/consultant must accept that as part of their role in realising the vision for the project.

Equally, I think that you can compare like with like, given that similar projects will face similar constraints.

So while I think you need to know the specific details before you can attribute blame or credit to the creator -- I believe the work itself can still be objectively evaluated on its merits and its efficacy.

Posted by: Kai | Jun 30, 2008 11:32:00 PM

My freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees one's self of the chains that shackle the spirit.

- Igor Stravinsky

Posted by: Carter Garrett | Jul 1, 2008 8:00:52 AM

I fully agree. Constraints and limitations are the basis of all natural and man-made beauty, not to mention scientific method. I just wrote an article relating directly to this, based on these ideas, discovered many years ago in book form: I fully agree. Constraints and limitations are the basis of all natural and man-made beauty, not to mention scientific method. I just wrote an article relating directly to this, based on these ideas, discovered many years ago in book form: The Power of Limits, by Gyorgy Doczi.

Posted by: uxdesign.com | Jul 5, 2008 8:23:32 AM

I completely agree. I run a web design company ad we are often asked what do we think of something and are standard reply is 'Well it's hard to judge without knowing what the brief was'.

We have created a number of rescue sites for clients that have had no budgets or no time and they are horrible when judged against any normal guidelines but they more than serve the purpose for what they built for.

Sometimes you are completely limited by constraints and this is one of the key items that separates art from design. Design is completed to a brief and without this it is art.

Posted by: Ben May | Jul 28, 2008 9:48:55 PM

I completely agree. I run a web design company and we are often asked what do we think of something and are standard reply is 'Well it's hard to judge without knowing what the brief was'.

We have created a number of rescue sites for clients that have had no budgets or no time and they are horrible when judged against any normal guidelines but they more than serve the purpose for what they were built for.

Posted by: Ben May | Jul 28, 2008 9:49:49 PM

I agree with you in 100%, having web development brief is very important aspect of delivering a website which meets clients expectations.

Posted by: website design Ireland | Mar 14, 2009 6:38:28 AM

i am agree.we should know what it need to do

Posted by: ipanks | Sep 24, 2009 8:43:11 AM

The comments to this entry are closed.