Adaptive Path logo

Adaptive Path
product experience strategy and design

« Google acquires Measure Map | Main | Want to be a top-notch »

February 18, 2006

Multiple choice. Which of the following statements is correct?

(a) I can't believe it's only been a year since the Ajax essay was published.

(b) I can't believe it's already been a year since the Ajax essay was published.

(c) All of the above.

<=> | February 18, 2006

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Multiple choice. Which of the:

» Ajax Birthday! from Luca Zappa Web Corner
Un anno fa Jesse James Garrett pubblicò larticolo Ajax: A New Approach to Web Applications si è passato solo un anno da quando è stato introdotto il termine Ajax!!! Per festeggiare il compleanno segnalo la funzione Ajax.... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 20, 2006 2:13:34 PM

Comments

Thank you for that essay!!!

Happy Birthday AJAX ;)

Avi,
Israel.

Posted by: Avi Kalvo | Feb 18, 2006 4:09:28 PM

I have to say (b), or [BEE](p)

Posted by: Peter Boersma | Feb 19, 2006 1:03:49 PM

So, since all the cool kids have abandoned XML for JSAN, have you come up with an updated name? Somehow AJAJ doesn't have the same ring...

Posted by: Dan Lyke | Feb 20, 2006 1:12:21 PM

In Germany, there is an abrasive with the name of "Ajax" and the amsterdam soccer team is called "Ajax" too...

So, whenever I am in a meeting, mentioning AJAX, I always earn strange looks.

Posted by: User Experience | Feb 20, 2006 7:00:15 PM

jjg:

I vote "b". This is striking evidence of people's need to name and/or categorize things.

The cognitive model of "things that use JavaScript to communicate with the server after a page has already been loaded" was surely an impediment to discussing the topic. By making communication less awkward, I think it removed an impediment to people really exploring what an obscure object named XMLHttpRequest was capable of letting us do.

UE:

The Ajax brand cleaner is popular in the US too. I wonder what they think of this.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg | Feb 21, 2006 5:42:24 AM

First and foremost, I must ask: did you ever in a million years think AJAX, even just the name, would take off as well as it did?

Also, what factors, other than a darn well-written essay, do you think led to its ultimate adoption?

Lastly, I mention the anniversary among other things in my current post: When usability and "Web 2.0" collide. I look forward to any perspective you may wish to provide.

Posted by: Dino Baskovic | Feb 21, 2006 4:28:32 PM

"did you ever in a million years think AJAX, even just the name, would take off as well as it did?"

Well, no, of course not. Nobody could have predicted what's happened in the last 12 months.

"what factors, other than a darn well-written essay, do you think led to its ultimate adoption?"

The adoption of Ajax is due simply to its power as an idea. That power couldn't be unleashed until people had a simple hook (the name) to make it easy to talk about. I needed that kind of hook in my own work; it turned out other people did too.

Posted by: jjg | Feb 21, 2006 5:01:32 PM

It appears to have "made it" in the enterprise too.

Posted by: Keith Instone | Feb 24, 2006 4:59:17 AM

Happy birthday! Great job.

Posted by: Derby | Mar 15, 2006 11:05:05 PM