Adaptive Path logo

Adaptive Path
product experience strategy and design

« In 1999, Sonic Youth had | Main | Rafe points out a story »

October 14, 2005

I'm going to Amsterdam next month to do my all-day seminar The Elements of User Experience on November 7. Any advice on what I should do or see while I'm there?

<=> | October 14, 2005

Comments

It depends on what you're into. The Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum are really worth seeing. There's Anne Frank's House, the Royal Palace and of course the RedLight District. The nicest things to do are just walking or taking a canal tour around the inner canal ring. There's also a lot of alternative cinemas and galleries around, especially in the Jordaan area. If you're here more than two days I'd recommend taking a train or bus to see another town or the windmills.

If you want more advice on restaurants, etc. then send me an email - I've lived right in the centre of Amsterdam for the past year and a half (near the Jolly Hotel Carlton actually).

Posted by: Pamela Jones | Oct 15, 2005 12:53:31 AM

Playing FLICKR v2.0 is nice. http://www.mediamatic.net/artefact-200.9770.html

Posted by: Jim | Oct 15, 2005 8:50:15 AM

The Van Gogh museum is a must. If you do not go, I will never speak to you again.

Make sure to get a look inside Theater Tuschinski. Art nouveau at its finest.

Speaking of movies (and you knew I would), check out the Filmmuseum in Vondelpark. See what they're showing.

Vondelpark is great for a stroll on a pretty day. The Blue Teahouse is a great spot for a drink and to pet doggies.

Like any place, open air markets are among the most fun you can have as a traveler. Amsterdam's classic is the Albert Cuyp Market. A great place to get a cone of frites.

Among my all time favorite places to sit, read, and drink (whether its coffee or booze) is Cafe De Jaren (very near Tuschinski.)

Canal tours - dorky, yet fun! Launch from near Centraal Station. There's an architecture canal tour, whose information I cannot find online, but which looks great.

I've written about my experiences with Stacy in Amsterdam.

Posted by: peterme | Oct 15, 2005 9:37:44 AM

Actually you can check out nice places to eat at Special Bite. Especially the Albert Cuyp Market is a very nice incrowd area. If you are there, grab a bite at Bazar (an old church). My favorite modern-art museum is 'Stedelijk Museum' which has been temporarily moved to the Central Station district. My last tip would be to see our soccer club play at the Arena stadium, maybe you know it's name: AJAX ;-) I'm sure you have a great time and if you'd like more tips just email me. Btw. I think Peter's tips are also great!

Posted by: Thijs | Oct 15, 2005 4:32:13 PM

Have a look at Steven Pemberton's Guide to Amsterdam:

If you like books - especially design books - have a look at Nijhof & Lee, they are at the Staalstraat 13a (near Waterlooplein and Cafe De Jaren):

Posted by: Copey | Oct 16, 2005 3:27:08 AM

Meet a local: http://www.like-a-local.com Marijke and I are listed there, and we'll give you the FOPB discount ;-)

Posted by: Peter Boersma | Oct 17, 2005 2:51:42 PM

Yes, De Jaren. Sigh.

The Sauna Deco is very fine, if you are a sauna person. Bit small, compared to German ones, but I guess everything in Amsterdam is a bit small.

I spent more time in De Pijp last time I was there than on previous visits, it's a really wonderful district, and less touristy than more central areas.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 18, 2005 5:50:25 PM

Do you think in offer this seminar in Brazil? I believe that would be very nice to us, from here.

Posted by: Katyusha | Oct 19, 2005 6:38:28 AM

If you are looking for work related stuff, and will be staying for a couple of days, you may want to visit Delft (which is also one of the best towns to be in outside of Amsterdam) on either November 10 or November 11.

On november 10 there will be a Symposium with the title "Design and the growth of knowledge" about how design itself can be research with speakers from the international field of design research such as Brenda Laurel, Gillian Crampton Smith, John Thackara and Kun-Pyo Lee. See http://studiolab.io.tudelft.nl/symposium/ for more info.

The reason they are here, is because I will have my PhD defence on a doctoral design the next day on November 11, and they are in my committee. The ceremony of a doctoral defence is quite an interesting thing in the Netherlands. More about the research on http://studiolab.io.tudelft.nl/forinspirationonly/

Posted by: Ianus Keller | Oct 22, 2005 2:43:25 AM

Eat Indonesian food. Seriously. Try to eat your weight in Indonesian food while you're there.

The best-regarded Indonesian place is Tempo Doloe, but ask around -- there are dozens of great Indonesian places in town.

Posted by: headth | Oct 22, 2005 6:17:04 PM

Come to the High School of Amsterdam (HvA) for a lecture, please! =p

I'm a student at Interaction Design and we're currently discussing user interfaces. A lecture would be like SO cool ^_^. Contact me when you're interested.

best regards.

Posted by: Sjoerd | Nov 14, 2005 6:44:56 AM

GET HIGH!!!

Posted by: unanymus | Sep 15, 2006 3:32:50 AM

The comments to this entry are closed.